Monday, February 7, 2011

Marathon Training

I decided to be brave a few months ago, and I have begun training for a marathon. I am still trying to figure out why I feel this need to train for something so big. Especially today, when my muscles are tired, and I'm still fighting to get myself rehydrated .... my mouth is so dry.

Why do we willingly challenge ourselves? What is the point of such a venture? These are the kinds of questions that held me back many times from achieving wonderful things. Once upon a time, I walked away at the sign of any challenge - big or small - and now I am taking on one of those big feats, and I'm not sure why! I suppose I want to prove to myself that I can do this. There is the question of failure, always. But I am beginning to know about failure, and sometimes the best lessons are to be had from it. The only person who recognizes your failures is You. I know I am not going to be the very best at this, but I can do my very best today, and when I look back I will be proud. Proud that I saw the challenge, took it, and trained four days a week, tried to eat the right foods, tried to drink enough water, tried to get in tune with my body.

It is fascinating how much our bodies say to us, and how many times we disregard these messages. I can see how easy it is to lose touch with our physicality, by simply ignoring. It is becoming clearer every day that I need to pay attention to the signs and symptoms of my body. I cannot ignore my body's reactions to certain foods, to coffee, to sugar (groan). But I feel encouraged by this training to put only the best fuel into my body, simply because I feel better when I eat well. All such simple concepts, but so easy to ignore! Especially the sugar ... I am a baker after all ... But even in that way, I feel challenged to bake things that are low in sugar and fat, adding extra healthful ingredients to get the highest level of nourishment from all food.

I don't know what road I will be weaving through in my mind throughout this training, and that scares me a little, I admit. But I am quickly discovering that this running is forcing me to face some very basic facts about myself. At this point most of me wants to skulk away, avoiding these things: I am addicted to sweets. I don't spend time preparing healthful foods for myself, but I will do it for my kids. The idea of a challenge still freaks me out. I don't listen to my body.

But I am now facing these facts, and I cannot wait to see what kind of person emerges from these strong legs. My strong legs.

Here is a little recipe I created that is very healthy!

Stuffed Avocado Salad

Slice an avocado in half lengthwise, remove the pit. Scoop out the green goodness and dice. Toss in a bowl with cooked Quinoa, diced tomato and diced orange peppers. Drizzle with Apple Cider Vinegar & Olive Oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Combine well, and serve in the avocado shell. Happy eating!

1 comment:

  1. Running a marathon is right up there on my list of things to do. I doubt if I can though, my joints have kept me from doing anything like that up to now. But I live in hope that my maladies will go into remission, and I can train for something like this. A small one, maybe, one day, heh!

    I'm so glad you're doing it, on your own strong legs. Does running in the cold air hurt your lungs, Nicole?

    ReplyDelete